The Caucus of Working Educators just signed on to endorse Stadium Stompers - a movement of students, communities members, and allies that have come together to stop the Temple stadium.
Temple University has proposed a plan for a $100 million football stadium in the heart of historic North Philadelphia. Why should Temple be stopped, and why should WE join the fight?
- The stadium will push a largely Black community out of their homes- including many of our students, families, and coworkers.
- Temple is choosing to prioritize their own bottom-line over education.
- Even Mayor Kenney has criticized the stadium as being a bad deal for the city. Our schools and communities deserve true investment, autonomy, and stability.
- The Stadium Stompers will be marching alongside a simultaneous marches in support of the fight for $15 Minimum Wage and an end to stop-and-frisk and police brutality.
In the School District of Philadelphia we are familiar with bad, backroom deals in the name of education- but which do nothing to help students or our city while raising profits for a small group of business interests.
Joining this movement is about more than signing on as endorsers. WE have to show up:
- On Thursday, April 14, Stadium Stompers will meet from 2:00-3:30 at Broad and Cecil B. Moore by the Bell Tower to demand that Temple STOP the stadium.
- At 3:30, Stadium Stompers will march down Broad to join the simultaneous #Fightfor15 March at city hall.
- If you can't make it to Broad and Cecil B Moore by 3:30, you can head directly to City Hall to meet us.
- Invite all your friends on facebook, and share widely!
Show up the whole time or show up for ten minutes- but be there! We must say NO to the stadium, NO to displacement and gentrification, and YES to education!