Educators are hard at work at creating plans for how they can help with Get Out The Vote (GOTV) efforts on Election Day. Here are some helpful tips for PFT Members and our community partners:
The Week Before Election Day:
- Early in the week, talk with your colleagues about how your school can GOTV in your community! Discuss quick points of interest to tell families about what resources have been missing from your school, what is needed, and how voting can help public education and democracy in our city.
- Make plans for a neighborhood canvass around your building any day before election day.
- On Wednesday, 10/29, help PCAPS complete their "voter pledge card" campaign by helping them stamp and mail postcards to Philadelphia voters at the Fight for Philly office (846 N. Broad Street)
- On Thursday, 10/30, participate in a phone bank with PFT members.
- On Friday, 10/31, hold a special edition of Full Funding Friday urging parents, families, and passersby to GOTV!
- Take a moment to do a teach-in with your kids on the importance of voting. Send a letter home encouraging parents to continue the lesson by taking their kids with them to vote on the big day!
- If you want to do some direct work on your own time, contact Wolf for PA's Regional Director in Philadelphia, Stephen Ekema-Agbaw at [email protected] or call at 570-854-0499 to coordinate plans with the Wolf Campaign.
The Last Four Days of the Campaign:
The #1 goal for the Wolf For PA campaign is to have as many volunteers as possible to KNOCK ON DOORS! This is crucial in the all important last four days! The PFT is hosting one at Lincoln High School on Saturday Nov. 1st -- sign up here to volunteer.
On Election Day:
The Wolf campaign will be hosting Get Out the Vote Door Knocking for unlikely voters at the below locations. There are shifts from 9am-12pm, 12pm-3pm, 3pm-6pm, and 6pm-8pm. Show up at any time to help with canvassing or phone banking.
NE Philly8566 Bustleton AveNW Philly (Germantown)5537 Germantown Aveand 5730 Greene St.
South PhillySheet Metal Workers Local 191301 Columbus BlvdWest Philly4153 Lancaster Ave
And even if you can't help GOTV:
- VOTE! Do everything you can to make sure everyone else votes too! Organize and take action!
- Post pictures in your WE & PFT shirts! Use the hashtags #WeVoteAskUs and #PFTGOTV
- If you are not taking a personal day to work the polls, you can still get out during your lunch hour or after school and encourage people to vote.
This post will be continually updated with more opportunities and staging areas. Check back soon! Once again, it is vitally important that people get out there and KNOCK ON DOORS!